Today, I’m coming at you with my favorite banana bread recipe!
I haven’t done a recipe post in a while, and since health and fitness is an important part of my life, I wanted to share this recipe with you guys.
You can print this and keep it as your go-to recipe for the fall 🙂
The little secret about this banana bread is it involves a superfood in it!
Yep, we’re putting hemp seeds in this 🙂 Hemp seeds are extremely nutritious and are a great source of protein. By adding this superfood, it adds a nutty flavor plus omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids!
Banana bread is somewhat of a comfort food and I don’t know about you but I always get happy making it and love having my whole house smell so yummy 🙂 Now that the fall is right around the corner, I will surely be making this more often!
To make this extra healthy, I used sprouted wheat flour, but you can use regular flour if that is what you have in hand. What sprouted wheat flour is or rather sprouted grains are enzymes being released during the sprouting process enabling the break down of proteins and carbohydrates. This allows any type of sprouted grain (bread, flour, etc.) to have a low-glycemic index and makes it easier to digest. It also enhances nutritional availability. So, while you are at it, making healthy banana bread, you might as well use a good-for-you flour 🙂 I love purchasing mine from Amazon as I find it is more expensive at Whole Foods, but now that Amazon bought Whole Foods I’m interested to find out if they would match the prices!
I added chocolate chips to mine, but that is optional! I wanted to make this vegan so I used a vegan version, which you can find here.
I also used flax eggs instead of real eggs but you may use what you have on hand. You can find how to make flax eggs here.
I think this makes the banana bread more moist but I don’t mind that. I’ve never experimented with how it turn out with eggs, if you do, let me know below in the comments!
Here is the full printable recipe:
Hemp Seed Banana Bread
- 3 ripe spotty bananas
- 1 cup almond meal (almond flour)
- 1 cup light spelt flour or regular flour
- ½ Cup Hemp Hearts
- ¼ Cup raw honey
- 2 flax eggs or 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ Cup melted coconut oil (cooled)
- ¼ Cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare your flax egg — 2 tbsp flax meal mixed with 6 tbsp water. If you are using eggs, skip this step.
- In a large bowl, smash your bananas and mix in your flag eggs or 2 regular eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, and honey.
- Next, mix in all of your dry ingredients in a different bowl and mix around to ensure there are no lumps (if you have a sifter, use that, I did not have one!).
- Mix in dry and wet ingredients with a spatula. Once nicely incorporated, add in chocolate chips and hemp hearts.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease the pan and pour in the mixture in the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown.
That’s it! It’s pretty simple and really yummy.
Have a nice and safe weekend everyone!
Until next time,