Let’s get this out of the way — no these cookies do not have marijuana in them!
They do have hemp hearts in them, which are even better! Hemp hearts are super nutritious and packed with protein, making this great for the whole family. If you want an in-depth explanation of hemp hearts, then read this post.
I’m pretty sure chocolate chip cookies are universal and I have not met one person who dislikes them. I hope I never meet such a person! Because….why…..how….I don’t get it…..
The best thing about these cookies are that they are a little bit more gut-friendly than the original. These are gluten free and have more digestible-friendly ingredients. Honestly, I think they taste better than the original and if you are a chewy cookies type of gal, like myself, then you are going to love these!
I used Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts to make mine and almond flour from Trader Joe’s. The great thing about using almond flour is, one it makes it gluten free, but also it makes it high in dietary fiber. That’s why just having one cookie can be enough to help your sugar craving and making it a healthier option in that way as well! But if ya want to have 2 or more, you do you 🙂 No judgement here!
Quick notes: The cookie dough will be a little more “wet” than usual and that’s totally normal! This is due to the almond flour. For the almond flour, you want to make sure to get the blanched almond as it is best for baking.
Hope you enjoy these and let me know if you make them! 🙂
Chewy Hemp Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar if that’s what you have)
- 1/4 cup sugar (or more coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or to your liking!)
- 1/2 cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix butter, sugar, coconut sugar and vanilla extract together in a large bowl. Mix in eggs until they are well incorporated together.
- Stir in almond flour, baking soda and salt. Mix those well.
- Mix in hemp hearts and chocolate chips evenly.
- Drop tablespoon sized dough onto baking sheet two inches apart and bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly brown.
Until next time,
“People who love to eat are always the best people.” – Julia Child